Wednesday 18 March 2015

Afternoon Tea at Claridges

It feels so good to be back on my laptop writing blog posts instead of school reports. With an exceptionally busy term at work my blog had to take a little bit of a breather..but I'm happy to be back writing about all my recent deelightful doings...

In my life, the only thing I have ever won is a colouring competition when I was 8 years old, and when I say won, I mean came second! So, it comes as no surprise that when the lovely Angie selected me as her Birthday Competition winner back in November, I was over the moon! As the competition was cake based the prize involved the sweetest of treats.... Afternoon Tea at Claridges

My winning gluten-free chocolate cake!
Claridges, a name that a number of people are familiar with... Renowned for their impeccable service, stunning art-deco interiors and of course their award-winning afternoon tea, which has been a number 1 'must do' on my list for years! As the prize was afternoon tea for two there was really only one person to share this with- my mum. So, on a typical rainy February day we headed to Claridges and I'm happy to report that it did not disappoint! 


From the minute we entered the famous doors we were treated as if we were the only two people there. We were sat in the main part of the foyer, with  a perfect view for people watching (spotted- Thandie Newton!) and handed a glass of their house champagne, Laurent-Perrier Brut, NV. What followed next were a selection of traditional sandwiches (so tasty that we had two lots each!)

Easy to drink Laurent-Perrier and delicious sandwiches
We were served smoked salmon scones, duck egg mayonnaise on perfect white bread, a very traditional cucumber and cream cheese sandwich as well as Dorringotn ham and a corn fed chicken sandwich served on tasty thyme and walnut bread! 


Now normally sandwiches are the highlight of my afternoon tea (I can never get enough), however what came next was a trolley of perfect pastries that looked almost too decadent to eat...I said almost!
To accompany the sweets there was only one choice of tea, the bespoke Claridge's Blend, created exclusively of course for Claridges. 


Among the pastries was an amazing rose-water and raspberry macaroon that had the perfect amount of chewiness, with the subtle flavour of rose coming through as well as raspberry cream topped off with fresh raspberries...always good to have an element of my five a day ;-) 


Served freshly baked was a choice of scones- fruit or plain accompanied with Cornish clotted cream and their famous Marco Polo gelee, a delicious jam. Again, we were replenished with more scones and I managed to squeeze in just one more to complete a most wonderful afternoon tea experience.

Not only was the tea one of the best, if not the best, I've ever had, the service was absolutely faultless and even if it was just for a mere two hours, my mum and I felt like absolute royalty! 


Thank you again to Angie Silverspoon for this exquisite prize... My mum and I are already planning our return!

Where is your favourite place for afternoon tea?


No comments:

Post a Comment