Sunday 15 June 2014

Pork, Chicken and Cheese!

The last week has seen me dine at three relatively new London restaurants, and although my waistline is beginning to feel the effects my palate has been delighted by them all!

Pork, pork pork

Up first was Blackfoot in Exmouth Market- a restaurant with a menu centred all around pork! Going here was actually quite nostalgic for me as, for many years this was better known as Clarks- a typical 'East End' pie & mash shop which (when I was younger) I would visit with my mum & brother on a weekly basis and have sorely missed since it's closure. So, I was pretty intrigued to see what the restaurant that had replaced it would have to offer. In the company of my mum & bro (who else better to sample it with me) I was pleasantly surprised to see that all the old booths had been kept as a feature. Having been used to going up to the counter and asking for "1 small pie & mash and loadsa liquor" I was looking forward to trying something new! With an extensive menu of all things pork- from ribs to belly, I settled on a pork and bacon burger on a brioche bun and although you may think it's just a burger, it was by far one of the best I've ever had (and I've eaten a lot!). Another highlight was my mum's dish - a pork, chorizo, white bean and spinach stew- absolutely delicious!! Although yes, I do miss the comfort and familiar feeling of Clarks, Blackfoot is by far a worthy replacement! So if you like your pig, then get trotting down (sorry) to Exmouth market!


Later on in the week I paid a visit to Le Coq on St Paul's Road, a local restaurant that I've been meaning to try for a while! Sticking to my accidental theme of 'one main ingredient' it was now the turn of the chicken! Offering a simple 2 choices for starter, one choice for main and two for dessert- decision making was easy! My friend and I ordered a different starter each- one pâté and one tomato and aubergine bruschetta- both of which were devoured in minutes! Then onto the main course- chicken! Half a ho fan style chicken served with whole garlic cloves, white beans and gorgeous gravy- yes it was simple, but it was also simply yummy!!


Finally I topped off my gastronomic week with an impromptu visit to Champagne & Fromage in
Covent Garden. What was intended as a girly night of cocktails, soon turned into a night of champagne and cheese, and lots of it! With so many cheese boards to choose from (cow, strong,
pasteurised and goat) we decided upon the ewe board and were not disappointed!!
And, to top off a great week - we spotted the incredible Steven Tyler of Aerosmith going crazy ;-) for all things cheese!!

Until next time
D! x

No comments:

Post a Comment